Saturday, February 1, 2020
Friends Meeting House
4836 Ellsworth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Doors at 6:30 PM, Ritual at 7 PM
Please note-This rite will be held on the second floor and is only accessible by stairs.
Join Sassafras Grove in celebrating Imbolc (or, as we call it by the Romano-British name, Brigantia) and honoring the goddess Brighid, the Patron of our Grove. Brighid is one of the most well-known deities in the Irish pantheon, and her worship – whether as goddess or saint – remains widespread in modern times.
Best known as a goddess of Healing, Poetry, and Smithcraft, in this ritual we will honor her in what have become our Sassafras-traditional nine aspects of Midwife, Foster Mother, Initiator, Smith, Poet, Warrior, Healer, Hearth Tender, and Goddess of Sacred Wells.
You may want to bring:
· A candle to dedicate to Brighid—blue or white candles are traditional (extras will be provided)
· Your Bratog Brighid to hang up and be blessed by the goddess (see below).*
· A praise offering to Brighid. Appropriate offerings can range from artwork, poetry and songs to homemade food and crafts to healing tools. Anything associated with one of her nine aspects is highly appropriate.
· Brighid Novena ribbons/cords to contribute to the conclusionary offering (if you opt to participate in this year’s “Brighid Along With Sassafras”)**
· A snack to share after the rite. Due to time constraints, we won’t be having a full potluck for this celebration, but munchies are welcome!
Alcohol is not permitted onsite, even as an offering. Please respect the traditions of our hosts.
At this rite, we will be collecting disposable diapers (all sizes) and unscented/gentle baby wipes to support the FosterLove Project. Visit their website for more information http://www.fosterloveproject.org/
Plant a Tree! Over the next year, Sassafras Grove will be collecting cash donations to be used to plant trees through the Arbor Day Foundation in honor of the Earth Mother. For just $2.00 we can plant a tree in a National Forest! So if you have an extra dollar or two, please consider donating. We’ll keep you updated quarterly on the planting progress!
The Friends Meeting House is located at 4836 Ellsworth Avenue in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh’s East End. There is a small parking lot adjacent to the building in addition to on-street parking. You can find a link to a map for the Meeting House on the front page of their Web site at http://www.quaker.org/pghpamm/.
There is no cost to attend our rites and events, but we do rely on donations to help us cover the cost of space rental and supplies. If you can, please support your local Druids!
Scribe, Sassafras Grove, ADF
*A Bratog Brighid (or Brighid’s Mantle) is a blue or white cloth or shawl that has been blessed by Brighid on Brigantia/Imbolc. Traditionally, a Bratog Brighid is hung by the hearth or from the door-knob on Brighid’s Eve. Before the family retires for the night, a small bed is made in a basket by the hearth. As the family goes to bed, the head of the household calls out from the front-door, “Brighid, your bed is ready!” When Brighid enters the home that night, she blesses the cloth and it carries her healing grace for the coming year.
**Our Brighid Novena will begin on January 23 and end on January 31. We’ll post daily links to resources on the website.